Classified as a historic museum in 1975, the Musée Saint-Raymond, along with the schools Saint-Martial (currently the Hôtel de l’Opéra) and Pierre de Foix, is one of the rare, existing examples of medieval, academic architecture in Toulouse.
- 1523 : construction under the direction of the architect Louis Privat. At the time, it served as a collège, a dormitory for students coming to Toulouse from different regions to study law, theology, medicine…
- 1836 : the City of Toulouse buys back all of the buildings belonging to the former Collège Saint-Raymond.
- 1852-1853 : the museum’s edifice is the only building to escape the demolitions brought on by the construction of a large square around the basilica of Saint-Sernin.
- 1868-1871 : saved from destruction, the building is restored thanks to the intervention of Viollet-le-Duc
- 1891 : the Musée Saint-Raymond opens.